Sunday, September 18, 2011

Have you ever found Deer Lake Park to be a bit creepy?

During a friendly conversation with a customer in my store, we stumbled on the subject I am new in town. Just over a month now in the north, I hail from Vancouver previously. The gentlemen and I discussed the Burnaby area fondly as we both have resided here at some point in time. Granted his stay was 1960's-1970's, and mine was 2005-till a month ago!



There are numerous reasons that make Burnaby ideal, the wooded landscape happens to be the densest to population in North America. It sits just on the outskirts of Vancouver so you are just minutes from the big city.
Despite the numerous reasons, this magical place like all places always comes with a bit of twisted history....


Oakalla Prison 
Burnaby, BC 

Oakalla Prison Farm opened its doors on September 2, 1912. It's location you ask? The current Deer Lake Park. Ever feel creeped out while going for a stroll around the park? Well to much surprise to me, reading into the Oakalla Prison I found that it practised the death sentence right up till 1959. 44 people have been hung to their deaths in that very park!
 
So kidlets.. what are you doing this Halloween? I suggest taking a stroll through these parks alone, without your flashlight or cellphone. Report back here when you do, if you do.... 
 
 



1 comment: